Go Back   EnviroCitizen Forum |Green, Natural, Organic, Eco-Friendly & Environmental Community Forum > Green For Life > Wind Energy
Follow Us:                                                    
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Wind Energy Wind Turbines, Wind Power, Off Grid Energy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Floating Wind Turbine

The world’s first floating wind turbine was installed off the coast of Norway. The experimental turbine will be in place for two years while the company determines future steps for the turbine. The turbine, if successful, is expected to resolve numerous issues currently involved in wind farms on land and sea.

The turbine will be anchored to the seabed with cables and can be in waters upwards of 700 meters. The aspect of the turbine allowing it to float lies below the surface and is about 100 meters long. Cables will connect the turbine to land. The company states that the farther from shore the turbine is, the more costly due to the amount of cable required.

The floating wind turbines are expected to solve numerous issues, such as lack of room for land turbines. Wind farther out to sea is also more consistent and stronger, increasing energy. In addition, the floating turbines will reduce issues for the shipping industry, tourism, military radar operations and birds.

As the technology decreases in cost, the floating wind turbines are expected to be developed around the world.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Although I understand why these turbines are innovative I think that a lot of time will pass before we see them installed around the World. I'm not trying to be a party breaker here but rather a practical person oriented around already affordable resources and technology.

Tags
green energy, wind energy, wind turbine