One of the main purposes of green resorts is to take part in eco-recognition. Through attention to detail, intensified training, certification, and a common interest in green living, green resorts can take part in eco-recognition.
Awards are given for eco-recognition. Environmental commissioners submit programs and projects for special recognition. The point of eco-recognition awards is to acknowledge businesses and organizations that best meet the goals of an eco-friendly environment. There are many things that must be achieved to make a green resort actually worthy of eco-recognition.
A green resort worthy of eco-recognition is also worthy of your own business. If you are interested in visiting a truly green resort, it is important to know what makes a resort worthy. Sometimes, it is not possible to choose a green resort that contains every attribute. Make a priority list and then work from there. Here are a few key ones to consider.
• Construction- First, consider the construction. Was the hotel designed in an open manner? This will reduce breezy, open-air areas, which will reduce energy consumption. Natural lighting will flow in, as well as natural air conditioners. Also, are the rooms energy efficient?
• Eco-Recognition- Is the resort recognized for its standards? Does it abide by ISO14001? Are there any awards the green resort has received for its eco-recognition?
• Future Green Technology- Does the resort promote green advances in green technology? Does the green resort use the newest energy-saving technology?
• Guest Participation- Are the guests aware of and informed of the resort-wide environmental efforts and activities? The promotion of green activities is an education for all who are interest in a green lifestyle.
• Native Environment- How does the green resort promote and protect the local culture? Is the local environment, including the fauna and flora taken into account? Is the cultural architecture and history preserved? Local cuisines and products are also a huge plus.
• Renewable Resources- What kind of renewable resources are used by the green resort? Does the resort harness solar, hydro, or wind power? Or all three? There are different renewable resources at every location.
• Safety and Quality- What are the food systems like? Are quality control systems in place? How is the maintenance department? Are the water lines monitored and flushed?
• Staff Training- Does the green resort have a strong company culture including the education and implementation of green practices? How is the staff involved?
• Stewardship- How does the green resort promote environmental preservation? Is the green resort proactive and publically involved with educating the local community?
• Transportation- Does the resort support local and energy free transportation? Do they use alternative fuel sources such as bio fuels or electrical powered vehicles?
• Waste Reduction- Does the hotel track their waste reduction? This includes the use of water, electricity, and other resources? Are there low flow toilets, showers, and faucets? Are biodegradable products used? And is the biodegradable waste recycled?